Wednesday 30 October 2013

Test Drive Tuesday - McLaren M26

So, continuing with the new theme of TDT cars, we have another classic F1 car. This time, we have James Hunts McLaren M26 from 1977. I won't be able to get the video online until next week (for some, that might be a good thing), so this brief review will cover the car for now :p

After the Maserati 250F from last weeks TDT, 20 years of development in Formula 1 took place and the advancement in the car is visibly evident! In this edition, aerodynamics exist now, so the car is fitted with, albeit crude, front and rear wings to provide downforce as the car travels. The tyre width has greatly increased providing greater traction and stability on corners. In particular, the rear wheels are substantially larger than the front which provides increased grip on the rear wheels, which drive the car, thus providing better traction when accelerating. All these things together make for a car much better suited for taking on tracks with corners!

With a faster engine and a better suited body, the M26 performed much better than the Maserati 250F, and even a good couple of the supercars of weeks gone by! You can see how it compared overall on the Hotlaps page. The car handles very well and I didn't lose control all that often, however, it became quickly obvious from the off that my controller is broken: my upshift paddle keeps sticking, costing me *alot* of time on the track and I had to call it a night pretty early.

One interesting peculiarity I noticed about the Simraceway model is that, while the rear wing falls off if you so much as sneeze on it, the front wing and the wheels are impossible to remove from the car! I even tried a head on crash at around 120 miles and still, nothing comes off! So there are definitely a  few things that need sorted with the model, but otherwise I enjoyed the car. For $5.37 (or $2.68 on offer), it's not massively expensive if you enjoy your classic F1 cars and is pretty fun once you get into it.

Hopefully I can my controller fixed before next week!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment